Monday, May 23, 2011

Vampire days

These days I don't do anything except sit in front of the computer and watch Vampire Diaries. Yes, you read it right. At the risk of sounding 'kiddish' I confess that I like it and the show is kind of nice. Come on, you'll also like it if the 'bad' vampire is so hot. It just adds to the whole concept of the creatures of the dark. My fascination for vampires goes way back to 11th grade when i started reading the Twilight series. Yes, the books are weird and all these books and shows focus on "18 Till I Die" more than how gruesome the vampires are. But even then I've fallen in love with the concept of VAMPIRES. It's fascinating to me. How they move around at the speed of lightening, drink blood, save the damsels, are good looking and not to mention rich. Vampires have a certain manliness about them which appeals to me. They are charming yet dangerous. That feel of mystery and danger and curiosity and charm.
I have a knack for people who have vampire-ish traits in them. A close friend of mine looks like a vampire from every angle and has very sharp canines. A classmate of mine has sharper canines and believe it or not, when he smiles his teeth actually show and give him a vampire-ish look. Can you blame a simple mortal for getting trapped in the charm of these pseudo vampires?
I started watching Vampire Diaries at the polite request of my best friend who is a big fan herself (no we are not high school teenagers. We are second year university students.) She used to tell me at least thrice every time we talked that if I don't watch VD (as she likes to call it lovingly) then I'm not a vampire lover. This used to irritate me because though I don't show it, my love for vampires runs deep in my veins. But then I'm only a poor lethargic creature and I don't believe in moving off the bed just like that. Now you tell me, who would make the enormous effort of getting off the bed, go over to the computer, switch it on and then have the patience to watch a show on net which plays for 5 minutes and buffers for 15 minutes? But my friend knows me well. She knows which chord to strike when. One day while talking on phone she said "A, if you consider me your friend you have to do something for me. For me, for my sake. If you love me." Now who would not melt at these words?
So I ended up watching VD late that very night. And as she had predicted, I was hooked from first episode itself. It actually showed vampires drinking human blood. The show is unpredictable, you don't know what will happen next, when a vampire with his fangs out will fly at you from which direction. There are people who get bitten by these vampires and change into one themselves. Yeah the story is the same- vampire was in love with a girl who died leaving him pining for centuries. And after the rebirth of this girl, they meet again (always in high school) and fall in love. The girl finds out that the love of her life is a vampire but love conquers all and they unite for eternity (the girl becomes a vampire too usually). But the presentation of the dark in all the scenes just adds to the whole concept and makes it worth watching.

Despite having three exams to prepare for and having various books to study from, I end up watching Vampire Diaries because of my love for vampires and the thrill of it all.
Basically, I have no life at the moment and I live off these shows. I am utterly jobless and no wonder I'm piling on weight.

1 comment:

  1. I have to say that this particular blog ,with all due respect, made me grumble!! call me VD freak,but anybody who follows the show KNOWS and has to agree that its NOT a teen flick with high school kids falling in love with each other...high school is not even a substantial part of it. So spare the presumptions,please. :p

    ReplyDelete